The first poem I looked at was On This Earth in which the author describes all things good in life, particularly when he is in his homeland of Palestine. I chose this poem because not only is it inspiring and strong, but it is also calm and happy. Often poems that evoke revolt and resistance are angry and violent, however this poem focuses on the beauty in life and why one can find happiness not only in the simple things, but also in resistance. I especially liked the line “mothers living on a flute’s sigh and invaders’ fear of memories.” I found this particularly beautiful because fills the reader with a sense of struggle and fight but also of love and tenderness. It allows the reader to find strength and identity in the struggle rather than solely rage and despair.
The reason I chose my next poem, I Talk Too Much, was because I felt the poet could directly benefit from reading the previous poem mentioned. In I Talk Too Much, I feel the poet feels cynical and hopeless as if his work is unable to change his situation. He talks about “talking too much” wherever he goes and getting the same compliments and support, yet nothing changes. I too have similar feelings at times, however I think when reminded of the themes talked about in On This Earth, the oppressed peoples of any struggle can find comfort and community.
No comments:
Post a Comment