Thursday, February 24, 2011

Types of oppression

I kind of like this play. Each character is unique and shares her own point of view on the types of oppression they face by recalling past events through poetry. I first started to notice the oppression with the lady in yellow when she explains she lost her virginity in the back seat of a car. Even though she says it proudly and expresses her joy over the discovery of sex, I still see it as male assault and sexual harassment toward women. I can feel that the men think of women as nothing more than sex givers. I also sense some oppression in the red lady's poem. She said she been through some past relationships and they have not worked out. This got me wondering how the relationship went wrong such as: was she treated as only a beautiful body with no soul or did the other men left her for some other girl who looks better? Most of all, I sense a lot of oppression when they all danced and sang, "we gotta dance to keep from cryin, we gotta dance to keep from dyin." I can feel the oppression they face because it made me think of their hardships when they said they cried and to what extent they were being oppressed when they said to keep from dyin. I noticed more oppression as I read through the book similar to the ones above such as date rape and so on. I believe this play has a lot of impact and make people realize how hard it is for women of color to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment