However, the ideas of oppression (of all different kinds) extend beyond just race or gender. While I do not think that I can fully or even close to fully understand the struggles of the characters, I felt like I gained a lot of insight into a different POV than I am used to. I really liked lady in red, lady in yellow, and lady in blue.
As a man, it was interesting to see the oppression (both indirect and direct) that males put on women. Particularly pronounced was the difference in how women are treated based on race. Whatever the reason, this type of oppression, one stemming from racism, misogynism or classism, is pervasive and women across the world feel it.
I haven't had many of these intense experiences (ie rape) but I still felt the power of each story. For colored girls who have contemplated suicide was a good read.
It's interesting to read a guy's take on feminist literature like this. I actually feel like I had a somewhat similar reaction to the text that you had--I've never been sexually harassed or abused and overall my experiences with sexism have been largely indirect, subliminal and haven't really affected my ability to succeed in doing what i want to do (thus far, lol). i think that speaks to the diversity of experience between men and women but also between women themselves. we can all find ways in which our struggles differ, and we can also find ways in which they are similar. i think that's the strongest message i had coming away from for colored girls.
ReplyDelete