Wednesday, March 23, 2011

HEY Y"ALL....Hope you are enjoying your breaks! Here is the list of assignments that 
Aya emailed out. This is a complete list. As long as you have posted an answer and a 
response to two of your classmates' posts by the end of spring break then you will
be all caught up! If you have any questions or are still having any problems posting,
just shoot me an email!  2/18 Draft blog posts in response to the following questions.  In for colored girls... what are different types of oppression you see in the text? what types of internalized oppression do you see in the text?  3/2 •  Blog post in response to the following question developed by Caila: •  Unfortunately, it was Paradise by Mahmoud Darwish  (1) Pick two poems from Unfortunately, it was Paradise Compare and contrast the two poems **(hint: Since this series of poems spans Darwish's poetic career, one way of doing this might be by choosing two poems written at different times in his life.) (2) Explain any central themes, identify strong language and tell us about your reaction to each poem.  Recommended length: 1-2 short paragraphs.  3/9 •        Blog post in response to the following questions: •        identify themes of feminism & love as resistance in Suheir Hammad's Zataar Diva  ACES What are your expectations going into your ACES project? Your hopes & fears?  What are some of your assumptions?   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahamoud Darwish

    On this Earth and The Kindhearted Villagers

    The poem On this Earth, in my opinion is sort of a tribute to Palestine. He says that “we have on this earth what makes life worth living”. He talks about how he appreciates and life is worth living for in Palestine. I like how he compares Palestine to a woman, to “the aroma of bread”, and says that after forty years, she keeps her apricot ripe. HE is truly fond of Palestine and sees it as truly beautiful, and ripe. In this poem he triggers sensory details and appeals to taste, sight, feeling, and hearing.
    In the Kindhearted Villagers, the senses are appealed to once again. He describes how he did not know his mothers way of life, when her ships came but her knew the scent from his grandfather’s tobacco. He also uses the “eternal small of coffee”. After reading a couple of Darwish’s poems, the ones I enjoyed most were the ones where he shows us details using senses, like taste, touch and hearing. He demonstrated this in his other poem “On this earth” as well.
    Also in both poems, he refers to April’s warmth and April’s hesitation. Darwish does use similar details in some of his poems, but they still sound fresh and “unrepetitive”. I like the kindhearted Villagers poem . Darwish says he is a kindhearted villager and he never regrets his words. although their names are like days the same, their names do not depict who they are. I think he is saying that we can’t judge and assume that he or his people, or where he comes from are a certain type of way and that we can learn something new about hi,, if we just take a chance and look without assumptions.
    The poetry in Unfortunately it was Paradise s a great example of how I should show more in my poetry and appeal to the senses like taste , touch, sight, and hearing. After reading the poetry, I realized that when you appeal to those detail and use them to describe your story, it helps make the poem more unique, less cliché-sounding, and unrepetitive. Although some of his poems may portray similar ideas, his use of language and sensory details kept the poems fresh, original, and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love as Resistance/Feminism


    Suheir Hammad’s ZaatarDiva is one of my favorite readings of the course so far. She uses the tool of love as resistance as a tool for feminism. I really liked “I’ve always loved criminals.” I liked that it was both about a woman’s love for a man but also feminist aspects. It went against many of the stereotypes about feminism (ie. feminists hate men, etc.). There is a sense of power, self-assurance and strength throughout the poem.

    I read “Lipstick” but was ultimately most interested in “Baklava.” I was first drawn to it by the title. I liked the poem because it, again, had a different way of portraying a feminist. It showed that being a strong mother and a foundation for a family can be a very important role. (Feminists don’t need to reject motherhood).

    ReplyDelete